AMIDEAST is pleased to announce the launch of the recruitment process of the U.S. Department of State sponsored Legislative Fellows program (LFP), a 1-month professional training opportunity that is designed to strengthen mutual understanding of policymaking processes in the U.S. and Gulf region countries. It is also designed to enhance appreciation of the role of civil society. The LFP is fully funded by the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and is administered by Legacy International in cooperation with AMIDEAST. Interested applicants may submit their applications online via the Legacy International website on the website link listed below.
The LFP for 2010 Program year will allow approximately seven Kuwaiti professionals, who are mainly involved in the public service or civil society work, to travel to the United States for a 3-week training to gain practical experience in the Legislative Institutions, including U.S. Congressional offices and other sectors involved in the US political process (eg. campaign, lobbying, NGOs, etc.).
Please note that we are currently accepting applications from interested candidates to take part in this open competition. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS JANUARY 31, 2010. Applications will be reviewed by AMIDEAST and Legacy International, and semi-finalists will be interviewed in February 2010.
Kindly please note that the eligibility requirements for the LFP include the following:
1. Applicant must be a Kuwaiti citizen
2. Applicant must be 25-40 years of age
3. Applicant must be a college graduate (Bachelor’s degree or higher)
4. Applicant must possess proficiency to function fully and professionally in an English-speaking work environment, as demonstrated on application and during interview
5. Applicant must demonstrate leadership abilities and relevant experience in and commitment to a career in the public sector such as participation in civic education activities, citizen advocacy groups, campaigns, or service organizations.
6. Applicant must have a minimum of 3 years of professional experience, and current employment, in relevant field.
7. Applicant must currently be established with a potentially interested audience — or in a position to secure one—having the ability to convene 20 or more colleagues for post-trip briefings, presentations, and project work
The LFP program provides:
§ Domestic, international and U.S. domestic travel
§ Visa fee and processing costs
§ Modest stipend
§ Housing and Meals
§ Health and accident insurance,
§ Professional and educational enhancement opportunities, and
§ Professional mentoring support during the fellowship
Participants will be selected on the basis of their applications and interviews with a selection panel. Applicants may complete the LFP application form online on the following website link: http://apps.legacyintl.org/apply/.
For more information, you are welcome to attend the LFP Information Session held at our AMIDEAST office on: Thursday – December 17, 2009 [4:00 pm – 5:00 pm]. Our office address is as follows:
AMIDEAST KUWAIT FIELD OFFICE
BL.#3, BLDG. #15
CORNER OF FOURTH ST. & YOUSEF AL-QENAI ST.,
PHONE: 2575-0670 (EXT. 6815, 6819, 6820, 6821)
EMAIL ADDRESS: KUWAIT@AMIDEAST.ORG
NOTE: APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE FOR THE 2009 HSBC FEA PROGRAM: SUNDAY, JANUARY 31, 2010