2011 Science-Technology Division & Arabian Gulf Chapter Student Award
to attend Special Libraries Association (SLA) Conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 12 – 15 June 2011
In 2011 SLA Arabian Gulf Chapter will be offering an Award jointly with Science-Technology Division (DST) of SLA.
The successful applicant will receive an award of US$2,000, towards the cost of attending the 2011 SLA Annual Conference (which includes conference registration, accommodation, and economy return airfare to Philadelphia, PA).
The award will be formally acknowledged at the SLA Conference in Philadelphia at the Science-Technology Division’s Awards Ceremony.
- Have an excellent command of written and spoken English,
- Be enrolled in a Master level LIS programme in Arabian Gulf countries during the current academic year
- Be eligible to travel to the USA
- Be interested in a career in special librarianship, preferably with a focus on working in a science and technology environment.
- Be a first-time attendee at an SLA conference
1. Please write a two-part essay, in English, of a total of approximately 500 words, which:
- Tells us why you chose to enrol in a graduate/master LIS programme and what you hope to do with your degree and especially why you might wish to work in the science and technology area, and
- Addresses one of the following three topics:
- What skills must the new information professional possess and why?
- What is the biggest challenge facing the profession, in general, and information professionals in your country, in particular?
- What benefits/knowledge do you hope to gain from attending the 2011 SLA conference? (Do not describe what you will do during the conference).
- Include a letter of recommendation, from your programme advisor or an SLA member who knows you well, which explains why you would be a good candidate for this award.
- Include a copy of your current CV including your postal, and email addresses and telephone number.
- Please prepare all documents in Microsoft Word and send by e-mail no later than 15 February 2011 to the following two people:
- i. Sultan Al-Daihani, SLA Arabian Gulf Chapter at firstname.lastname@example.org and to
- ii. Sheila Rosenthal, Chair of the DST Awards Committee at email@example.com
The Award winner will be notified by 20 February 2011.
Post Award Requirements
The recipient of the 2011 Science-Technology Division / Arabian Gulf Chapter Student Award will be:
- Required to write a brief article on their conference experience for publication in the September / October 2011 issue of the Science-Technology Division’s newsletter, Sci-Tech News, and for the SLA Arabian Gulf Chapter’s website
- Asked to maintain contact with the SLA Arabian Gulf Chapter Board during the year of their Award.
- Asked to serve on a Science-Technology Division Committee of their choice.
Contacts will be appointed from SLA Arabian Gulf Chapter Board and the Science-Technology Division for the duration of the award.
For further information about the Award’s co-sponsors, please consult their websites:
- SLA Science-Technology Division, http://units.sla.org/division/dst/ ,
- SLA Arabian Gulf Chapter http://units.sla.org/chapter/cag/website/index.html
For further information about the Award, please contact Sultan Al-Daihani firstname.lastname@example.org